The delegation is headed by the Chair person of the African Commission on Human and Peoples Rights, Reine Alapini Gansou.
The visit has been organised to evaluate how far Cameroon has gone with recommendations made by the African Human Rights Commission to its member countries.
As part of their mission, the delegation shall identify difficulties face by the country and make recommendations on how the situation can be continuously improved.
Upon arrival, Reine Alapini-Gansou indicated that the focus shall be on key areas including detention conditions, the rights of women and journalists.
As part of consultations with government officials, the African Human Rights Commissioner was received in audience by Prime Minister- Head of Government Yang Philemon.
She was in the company of Cameroonian-born Justice Lucy Asuagbor who is the Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders in Africa.
Before meeting the Head of Government, the delegation held working sessions with some members of government notably the Minister of External Relations, Henri Eyebe Ayissi, the Minister Delegate at the Ministry of Justice, Maurice Kamto, the Minister of State, Minister of Territorial Administration and Decentralisation (MINATD), Marafa Hamidou Yaya.
Reine Alapini Gansou and her team discussed with representatives of some institutions involved in the promotion of human rights some being the Secretary of State at the Ministry of Defence in charge of the National Gendarmerie, Jean- Baptiste Bokam, officials at the General Delegation for National Security and the Supreme Court.
Drs. Fonkam Azu’u of ELECAM and Chemuta Banda Divine of the National Human Rights Commission briefed the visiting delegation on the strides made in Cameroon so far.
- How the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights Threw LGBT People Under a Bus (gayrights.change.org)
- Hey African Commission: Human Rights Is Right There In Your Name (humanrights.change.org)
- African Human Rights Case Law Analyser: Collection of Decisions from the African Human Rights System (bespacific.com)
- It Ain’t Just Mubarak — 7 of the Worst Dictators the U.S. Is Backing to the Hilt (alternet.org)
- Human rights defenders honored (sfgate.com)