Bakassi: MINDEF goes to the field amidst rumours of a new attack
Upon instructions from the Head of State who is commander of the Armed Forces, the Minister of Defence was bearer of words of comfort to the army, most afflicted and the population.
The minister who was accompanied by two top military officials, General Rene Claude Meka and General Saly Mohamadou examined the security situation and pledged to boost up the troop level in the area.
The delegation left Mbonjo in Ndian to Akwa, headquarters of Kombo Abedimo. Here, Edgard Alain Mebe Ngo’o and his delegation took note of the vulnerability of inhabitants of this area; they are subjected to frequent attacks from sea pirates given the porosity of the boundary.
The Defence Boss had sincere discussions with the Youths of the area and assured them that President Paul Biya is determined to find the abducted administrative and security officials.
The visit was organized amidst rumours of yet another attack that has resulted to the death of an officer of the Rapid Intervention Unit.
This time, intervention from the Cameroonian security forces was very timely. Two assailants were killed and weapons seized.
- Cameroonian officials: Hostages taken to Nigeria (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Deadly boat attack off Cameroon (bbc.co.uk)
- Cameroon sends top official to free 13 hostages (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Weekly Piracy and Maritime Crime Update: 3 – 9 Feb (gcaptain.com)
- Cameroonian officials: Hostages taken to Nigeria (foxnews.com)